Wednesday, August 10, 2011

New Discovery!

I've been trying to avoid giving the patients coloring pages to just "fill in". 
I wanted the projects to be more creative for them. 
I thought it would stifle any individuality they may have and 
was afraid they would think it was childish.  
Although, a few visits ago, I noticed that they truly enjoy coloring in 
(and staying in the lines!)
 I'd purchased some new 16 color paint sets for them 
so today I copied butterfly images on to watercolor paper 
and gave each of them a butterfly sticker to copy.  
The stickers weren't very useful in the end,
 but it gave them a much needed reference.  

We had a big group today and it was rather chaotic when I first walked in.
Even the normally upbeat patients were negative and confused.
Once they got to work though, there was a complete shift in the atmosphere. 
They were content!  






And I was worried that they would all look the same! 
They were all so pleased with their results!   

This "new girl" refused to participate at first, 
but then got right into this. 
She was beaming on the way out.  
 Another one that preferred to "just watch" 
but once I put the paint on the brush for her ,
she was off and running! 
(That purse doesn't leave her lap. Ever) 

Bottom line: 
I think I'm getting somewhere! 

4 comments:

  1. I KNOW you are getting somewhere. These are just beautiful and it does not matter how much help anyone needs....it is ALL about being in that moment and creating something that pleases them...You are wonderful! Thanks as always- I look forward to seeing what you have going and so appreciate all of your time. I know that they do too! If I were able I would hug your neck- (southern for Ya did great!) Major thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so great to be working with these amazing people--the old and the young have no inhibitions when it comes to painting. My grandsons want to paint every time they come to my house and that makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful! With the outline done for them, there was nothing to do but COLOR COLOR COLOR! Hope everyone was pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just wonderful and it certainly looks as if they are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete