Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"House" as a subject

As the class arrives, it's always a bit hectic and upsetting, 
as most of the patients are confused and agitated at first. 
It still amazes me how quickly they calm down 
the minute they start painting!   

"A house" is such a basic shape, yet it can evoke all kinds of emotions. 
I thought it would be interesting to give the class a simple outline, 
then let them add what they wanted.

Anita added the white curtains and the "candle light" behind them.
And the wreaths! (Even the ones in the bushes.)
I love that she drew in the bricks on the chimney and the front step. 

Check out the mid-century modern front door!


This woman is more highly functioning than the rest of the group.
She added the thatched roofs and stone walls.
She told me she couldn't remember the name of the village 
she visited in Ireland where the houses look like this.  
(As I was leaving, I saw the gal at the front desk googling it for her!) 
I love that! 


We'd talked about all different kinds of houses:
antiques, Capes, contemporary, cottages, cabins,
barns, even birdhouses!  

Joe is in a wheel chair and is barely able to communicate.
He said this was a lot like his cabin.
A real stickler for accuracy, 
he was concerned that the roof was blue. 
I told him it was just reflecting the sky. 


Note: 
Today I experienced what I guess is the only down side of doing this. 
I was told one of the "sisters" passed away over the weekend.
(click here to see a previous post about them) 

This is the painting she did just last week. 













No comments:

Post a Comment